Getting a legal abortion in Kuwait is a very complicated process and one that is only offered in the very rarest of occasions. A woman seeking an abortion here is often left feeling as if she has only one recourse: getting an abortion in an illegal manner. However, based on the danger of this method, she should instead seek to find a legal method to get an abortion, which might require her to go to another country to have the procedure.
There are several steps that a woman must take to get an abortion in the country of Kuwait. First, she must meet one of the rare exceptions.
A woman can get an abortion in Kuwait in one of the following circumstances:
- The health, either mental or physical, or life of the mother is in jeopardy.
- The baby has a known, and very serious, defect that will jeopardize the life potential of the child and cannot be cured.
If one of these things is not met, then an abortion will not be allowed. However, even when one of these elements is met, there is a tough process to get the abortion.
In order to have a legal abortion here, all of the following must occur:
- The mother must be less than four months pregnant;
- It must be conducted at a state hospital (or a hospital referred by her doctor and approved by a board);
- The abortion must be approved by a specialist panel that consists of three panelists in the field of gynecology or obstetrics; and
- If it is for the birth defect, it must be approved by both the mother and the father.
Because it is so hard for a woman to get a legal abortion in Kuwait, a woman wanting such a procedure might feel that her only option is to get one underground in an illegal fashion. This, however, is a very bad and dangerous idea. A woman who gets caught will face serious legal consequences, and even if she is not caught, illegal abortions often result in permanent health problems and even death.
Instead of going to illegal abortion clinics in Kuwait, though, an expat woman has the option to go to another country, where the procedure is legal, to have the abortion. For example, abortion is legal in India, in compliance with the MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) Act of India, where the procedure is also a lot safer and a lot easier to receive.
A safe, legal and confidential medical abortion option is at the Abortion Clinic in Bangalore India. Information on this clinic can be found at https://www.bangaloregenesishospital.com/abortion-in-bangalore/. Also, if you have more immediate questions, you can call or WhatsApp (+91) 934 382-6182 or (+91) 900 849 2277.