Circumcision can be done for a variety of reasons. They can be medical, cosmetic, ethnic or religious.
What is circumcision surgery?
Prior to having a circumcision operation done it is good to understand exactly what the operation is and how it will benefit you. When you do this you will be able to have your operation with confidence, knowing that you will know what to expect.
So what is the procedure when you come for a circumcision?
Circumcision is a minor operation that takes around an hour to complete. It is done to remove the foreskin of the penis. You will be able to go home the same day.
The circumcision operation itself is quite simple and when done by an experienced doctor in clean sterile conditions is usually not painful.
The days when the village elders performed this as a ceremonial rite are long since gone and the procedure takes place in a sterile clean environment with a professional doctor doing the operation. This will decrease the risks of infection and complications and ensure that you are more comfortable.
There are concerns from people going to get the circumcision done that there may be some scarring or infections after the operation. However there is usually nothing to worry about if you have this done by an experienced doctor in a proper hospital environment.
It is good to understand the post operative procedures, because this will help you to heal and reduce the risk of complications and infections.
You will be allowed home after the procedure but you should try to take bed rest for about a day. If you do this you will then be able to reduce the chances of excessive bleeding and allow your body to heal.
You can take a shower but be sure to keep the wound area dry. This can be done by covering the penis with something like saran wrap to protect it. You will reduce the chances of infection when you do this. If the wound gets wet remember to just pat it dry and not to rub it or it can get inflamed.
It is good to check on the wound site and be sure that there is no bluish color or discolorations around it. If you see anything like this you should inform your doctor.
It is wise not to have sexual intercourse until about 3 to 4 weeks after the circumcision surgery. You should not have any problems after your operation as long as you keep the area clean and dry.
The dressing should be changed regularly and the wound will heal in about 7 days.
When you understand about the procedure you will not be apprehensive about having it done.
Why circumcision surgery?
People have a circumcision done for various reasons. It can be for ethnic or religious reasons or medical reasons. It is often done when the male is an infant but is getting more and more common for adults.
There are a number of common reasons why someone should make a decision to have a circumcision surgery.
- Balanitis: bacteria can multiple underneath the foreskin this will result in a minor infection. The symptoms of this problem are itching and burning, some inflammation can often be present as well. Circumcision removes the skin and gets rid of this problem.
- Enhanced sexual satisfaction and pleasure.
- Sexually transmitted diseases are not so prevalent with people who are circumcised. This is because it is easier to keep this area clean when the foreskin is no longer there.
- Religious reasons are another reason that circumcision is done. In fact Jewish male infants have this done when they are 8 days old. Muslim boys had this done when they reached puberty in the old days. However now they often have circumcision done when they are infants. There are some cultures that have circumcision done as a special rite when the boy reaches maturity.
- Some parents have this done for hygienic reasons. They consider that the area can be kept cleaner without the foreskin being present. It is a fact that urinary tract infection in young boys is decreased when they are circumcised.
- Sometimes tightness of the foreskin can be a problem and this is the reason that many people will have this done when they are adults. The problem can be eliminated when circumcision is performed.
These are a few of the reasons that prompt people to have a circumcision done.
Benefits of circumcision surgery
Although some people still dispute the merits of having a circumcision surgery done there are a number of benefits from doing this. The pros are more than the cons when you consider the facts. As you can see from the above facts there are a number of reasons both, religious and medical that prompts people to have a circumcision.
There are a number of benefits to having this procedure done.
- Urinary tract infections are greatly reduced in small children who have this procedure done. This is because the area is moist and warm especially if the child is wearing diapers. Infections are harbored by bacteria accumulating beneath the foreskin. If these infections continue and become chronic infections they can develop into kidney problems in later life.
- The area remains cleaner as bacteria cannot breed under the foreskin. As mentioned sexually transmitted diseases are less common in people who are circumcised.
- Balanitis can be completely prevented and treated by having a circumcision done. As mentioned this problem occurs when the foreskin gets inflamed, resulting in discomfort in the area. Diabetes sufferers are especially prone to these problems. In fact statistics prove that one in three diabetics will experience this problem and one in ten normal people who do not have a circumcision.
- Risk of cancer of the penis can be reduced when this operation is done. This is a fairly rare form of cancer but it is a good idea to reduce risks of getting this.
From these points you will see that there are a lot of benefits from having a circumcision performed.
A consultation before the procedure is advisable so that you fully understand the procedure for circumcision and the post operative treatment. When you go to a good hospital or clinic to get this done the doctor will provide you with a consultation and also make sure everything is confidential.
The cost of the circumcision should be considered before you have this procedure done. The age of the person having the operation will be a cost factor and what facility you choose to have the operation done.
You will be wise to do some research before choosing the facility where you will have your circumcision operation done. An outpatient facility can usually do the operation for a reasonable price.
It may cost a little more to have the procedure done in an up to date clean and sterile facility but it is well worth it as it will reduce complications and infections after the operation.
At a good facility you will be able to consult with the circumcision doctor, who will advise you about good post operative care so that you will reduce your risk of infections.
You should not just consider cost but also the merits of the facility and staff including their experience, levels of expertise and success having performed circumcision surgeries.
Risks in circumcision surgery
Circumcision surgery complications
Circumcision is in fact a safe procedure. However there are some risks that should be kept in mind. You should be aware of these possible risks before having the procedure done. This means that you will know what to look for should there be any problems.
You may encounter a few minor problems but they will generally disappear in a few days.
You may experience some oozing or even a little bleeding around the area. Sometimes contamination can occur due to urine or stool and this will result in a little infection.
You should be careful when you use the bathroom to clean this area well to avoid this problem.
Some complications to watch for include:
- Damage to the urethra’s opening may occur.
- Some scarring can occur. This is generally due to an inexperienced doctor and infections. If you have the circumcision surgery done at a good facility with experienced medical staff you will reduce the risk of these complications.
- A bridge of skin can form if the foreskin is not removed completely. This can result in painful erections. To avoid this problem always have the procedure done by an experienced doctor.
- The opening of the urethra can be obstructed if scar tissue grows over this opening. This may make urination difficult.
- Stitches may be required if a lot of bleeding occurs.
- Very rarely you can get an acute infection. This should be seen to right away as this can be a threat to your life. Again having the procedure done at a clean and sterile facility will cut down this risk.
- Retraction of the foreskin is sometimes impeded if less foreskin is removed.
Most of these complications can be eliminated if you have the circumcision surgery done by an experienced doctor in a clean sterile facility.
Post operative instruction provided by the doctor should be followed carefully and the wound area should be kept clean and dry. This will also reduce any risks of infections.